Hey there, future international students! We’ve got some important updates to share with you about studying in Australia.
1) Rise in living expenses for international students
The Australian government recently decided to bump up the amount of money you’ll need to have saved when applying for a student visa, starting on October 1, 2023. In simple terms, this means you’ll need more money in your bank account to meet the financial requirements for your visa.
So, let’s break it down. The government has decided to increase the savings required for international students applying for a student visa by 17%. Here’s what it looks like now for a 12-month period:
- If you’re a student or a guardian, You’ll need AUD$24,505.
- If you’re bringing your partner along: make sure you have AUD$8,574.
- Bringing a child? You’ll need AUD $3,670.
Additionally, due to an increase in fraudulent applications, the government has decided to tighten its scrutiny of international students, so be ready to provide some extra paperwork.
The government says they’re doing this to make sure you can support yourselves and won’t be forced into bad work situations due to financial stress.
What Can Students Do?
- Check those savings: Make sure you have enough money saved up to meet the new requirements before applying for your student visa.
- Explore other options: Consider working part-time to supplement your income, or look into scholarships to help cover your expenses.
2) English Proficiency Test Requirement
For Kenyan student visa applicants, there is now a mandatory requirement to provide evidence of English proficiency. Note that Duolingo test results are not accepted for offshore Kenyan applicants. Instead, you must demonstrate your English language ability through other recognized tests such as IELTS: International English Language Testing System, TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language, PTE: Pearson Test of English, OET: Occupational English Test, CAE: Cambridge English: Advanced
So, there you have it, future Aussie students! Stay informed about these new requirements and make sure you’re financially prepared before you apply for your student visa. Australia is an amazing place to study, and with the right planning, you can still make your dream of studying Down Under come true. Good luck!